Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Adaptable People are Happy People


Loveable Pesto:
This pesto loves you back! I usually have some dehydrated tomatoes on hand for this purpose, but if you don't have them, sun-dried tomatoes will do. I just don't really love all those preservatives--nor the super strong flavor. This pesto is so adaptable--I use it for pizza, paninis, cold pasta salad, greek yogurt veggie and chip dip, and warm pasta dishes. I make a good amount so as to have some on hand for the week. Added bonus is that it's dairy free, making it keep longer in the fridge. 

Soak for 30min:
1/2 Cup Dried Tomatoes
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Sherry Vinegar
1/2 tsp Redmond Real Salt
1/4 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1Tbs Italian Seasoning Blend

Put this mixture in a high grade blender or food processor and add:
1/2 Cup Almonds
1-2 Cloves Fresh Garlic
3-4 Cups Fresh Washed Basil Leaves


Tonight we made Paninis with Chicken, Swiss Chard, Tomato, Cheese, and the Pesto~ Um..so good. 


On Being Adaptable~
Just a little thought for you today. I've been thinking about resilience. I don't consider myself to be a very resilient person--I have many physical and mental problems that result purely because of my tendency to be stressed and emotional. I'm a healthy person, yet under pressure, I lose my capacity. It's like I have to have enough sleep, the right food, the right--well, everything in order to maintain my health.  I admire those who seem to have unlimited energy, or those who see stressful situations as exciting and fun challenges. I have yet to learn how to do that. "Let me re-group" or "I need some downtime" are key phrases of mine. 

I've learned though that it's ok to be me. Resilience goes hand in hand with courage. Making commitments even when we are it sure we can follow through, or stepping through a door we feel somewhat unprepared to step through, or doing things that just plain scare us--are ways we can show courage and resilience.  It doesn't have to be perfect in order to start. When I thought of those things, I realized I'm much more resilient than I thought!  (Just like my blog post is not finely polished with perfect pictures--because I'm not a photographer...) 

To be adaptable is to be resilient under change.  When things are going differently than planned or expected, or we are required to be in an uncomfortable place for a period of time, (much like holding your least favorite yoga posture,) now that is when you're true character comes out. Some of the most admirable people are those who are truly happy to adapt to the pressures and challenges of life.  Those who focus outside themselves and their own needs seem to be stronger and more capable in nature.  I'm trying to be more adaptable and resilient--like my love able and very happy and content pesto. Willing to be a part of any dish I might choose it to accompany.  So there is your food for thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment